Would you consider further education?

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Strange tastes, new world... GREAT IDEAS!

I have just returned from a weeklong visit to Singapore and Thailand. What can I say? The whole experience was mind blowing... I met with friends from university and networking sites online and they introduced me to a way of life which has pushed me to better myself in every way I can.

It is so hard for people from other countries to be able to benefit from the top tier graduate institution made available to us in the west and I seriously believe we take it for granted.

Whilst I was on my travels I spoke with many different people who had studied in Europe, Canada and the US and most of them are planning to return for their MBA’s. I saw a snippet of what an MBA would get you career/lifestyle-wise in Singapore and it rivals some of the best jobs here.

One guy who I met was from the UK studied his MBA in Australia, he was out in Thailand on business and he seemed to be living the James Bond/ jet setter lifestyle; travelling the world, meeting with important people and making notable headway in his industry.

I think beyond the superficial things having an MBA allows you to take your career to a new level. I am most interested in the possibility of sponsorship and scholarships available. Lots of my friends have attended world MBA fairs where they meet with schools from all over the world and discuss the possible financing opportunities, GMAT Strategies and which programmes would best suit them.
I wonder if one is due to come to Vancouver this year... I will double check the facts and of course post my findings on here.

I’ve heard lots and lots about Green MBA’s... when I look up what one is, I see there is a lot of interest in them and it allows for a great talking point at interviews. Here is a description from one institution based in the US:

“Green MBA is an engaged learning community that seeks to promote financial viability, ecological sustainability, and social justice in business and organizations of all types. Students graduate with practical skills and experience, prepared to innovate, communicate, and lead effectively in the face of global challenges.”


After travelling around parts of Asia I have definitely seen the value behind MBA’s and international study. The Asians have a focus on supporting people who are committed to bettering themselves and in some part I feel there is a shared belief that their efforts will flow into their work life and benefit the organisation they are working with/for.

No comments:

Post a Comment